Sony Ericsson has officially confirmed through the Sony Ericsson Product Blog that Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread upgrades are already making their way to Sony Ericsson Xperia devices all over the world.
Way back in September, Sony Ericsson started pushing out the Gingerbread upgrades but the coverage was limited to Nordic countries. This time around, the latest Gingerbread for the Xperia line is coming to other countries and markets.
What Sony Ericsson Android devices are getting the upgrade? The following are confirmed to receive the upgrade:
- Sony Ericsson Xperia arc
- Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY
- Sony Ericsson Xperia neo
- Sony Ericsson Xperia mini
- Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro
- Sony Ericsson Xperia pro
- Sony Ericsson Xperia ray
- Sony Ericsson Xperia active
- Sony Ericsson Xperia neo V
- Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S
- Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman
The updates will not bring uniform features to all Xperia devices, according to Sony Ericsson, as some features will depend on phone model and capability. For example, video chat features through Google Talk will run only on Xperia handsets that have a secondary, front-facing camera. The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY will not get the new 3D Sweep Panorama feature; instead, its HD video recording capability will be activated, according to the company.
Among the other new treats coming with the Gingerbread update are the following:
- Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras
- Updated Facebook inside Xperia functionality for enhanced like, share and discover abilities
- Xperia smartphones introducing world’s first 3D Sweep Panorama functionality powered by Sony
- 16x video zoom
- The software upgrade will enable consumers to turn their Xperia smartphone into a mini-mobile PC by connecting USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard or game controller) to Sony Ericsson LiveDock multimedia station. Connect the smartphone to a TV via HDMI to get a big screen experience.
- Gesture input – text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next
- Wi-Fi DLNA
- Screen capture – allows the user to share a screen grab from anywhere in the phone
Sony Ericsson seems to be giving a lot of love to its customers through well-updated Android devices. Hardly the same can be said of most other Android smartphone and Android tablet manufacturers.
Also, the Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread upgrades could be part of Sony Ericsson’s preparations for worldwide distribution of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades to its Xperia fleet. The company had earlier told Engadget that its 2011-released Xperia handsets will get the “next Android platform made available to us.” So, it is safe to presume that Sony Ericsson will be sending out Ice Cream Sandwich to its devices once the company finally gets access to the source. As to when, the company has not committed to any time frame for now.